Perfect recipe for a Los Angeles King’s game day. This is easy as well as healthy and totally delicious! You can make the whole thing ahead of time and put in the fridge. Decide when you want to eat – I put this in the oven before the third period – add a salad and bread and have a wonderful dinner after the game!
I’ll walk you through what I did and the recipe is at the bottom of the page if you would like to try it yourself.
This is the most important step so do not skip it. Cut the eggplant about 1/2 inch thick and sprinkle both sides with sea salt. Put in a colander and let sit for 30 minutes. This takes out the bitterness of the eggplant.
After you have dipped them in egg and then bread crumbs, place them on a sheet and bake. This makes the eggplant nice and crunchy before you add your sauces and cheese.
***I used Reynolds wrap with the parchment paper. It’s amazing because nothing sticks ever! When you take the slices off and put on a plate, everything comes out in one piece perfectly.
Add some sauce on the bottom of the pan and layer your eggplant and cheeses finishing with extra mozzarella on top.
And you done! Serve with salad and bread.
You know why I don’t have a nice picture on a plate? Because we ate after taking this pic and I forgot to snap a shot! We just barreled through to the food!
- 3 eggplant, peeled sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 6 cups sauce, I use my own but you can use spaghetti sauce (see my sauce below)
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sweat the slices by sprinkling with sea salt and letting sit for 30 min. Rinse, pat dry w/paper towel (get good & dry)
- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 7 minutes on each side. Leave longer depending how crispy you like it.
- After you take the eggplant out, turn the oven down to 350 degrees.
- In a 9×13 inch baking dish spread sauce to cover the bottom. Place a layer of eggplant slices on the sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with the cheeses.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
Go Kings Go!